Popkensburg Castle

Popkensburg Castle is a former castle which was situated in the village of Sint Laurens, in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands.

When Popkensburg Castle was first built is unknown but it was supposedly founded by a Jan van Popkensborch, a Frisian who settled here. The castle was first mentioned in 1353 when it was rebuilt by Claes of Borselen. In 1426 it went to Adrian of Borselen, who also owned St. Aldegonde Castle which is where he lived. Since then it was probably only home to a steward.

Later the castle went to the Lords of Veere through inheritance. Maximilian of Burgundy, Marquis of Veere, had some work carried out at the castle in 1553. But after he died penniless in 1558 the castle and its lands were publicly sold. Its new owners were supporters of the Spanish Crown, so during the Siege of Middelburg (1572-1574) Popkensburg Castle was garrisoned by Spanish soldiers and therefore escaped being destroyed by Sea Beggars.

In 1631 the castle was bought by Walter Fourmenois. When he died it passed on to his sister who was married to Pieter Boudaen Courten. Through marriages and inheritance the castle came into the hands of Jacob van Citters in 1762. Jacob was mayor of Middelburg, sub-Stadtholder of the island of Walcheren and a member of the Guardianship Board of William V, Prince of Orange, during his minority. Apparently the castle was in a dilapidated state, because Jacob immediately had it restored and made fit for habitation again.

When Jacob died in 1792 the castle went to his son Jacob Verheye van Citters. Being a member of the Court of Holland he didn't reside in the castle but in The Hague. But when the Austrian Netherlands were annexed by the French First Republic in 1795 his political career abruptly ended and he moved into the Popkensburg.

Jacob Verheye's descendants owned the Popkensburg Castle until 1863 when it was sold at a public auction to Agelink van Rentergem. Agelink then had the complete castle demolished, its moat filled in and its gardens dug out and had everything turned nto, more profitable, farmland. The demolition sparked a lot of local protest but without success.

Depictions of the castle, and even some very early photographs, show the castle to have had a rectangular ground plan with a moat and a rectangular bailey, which was also moated.

At present nothing remains of Popkensburg Castle. Its site is now occupied by a small housing community for the elderly.


Gallery

Popkensburg Castle

Popkensburg Castle is a former castle which was situated in the village of Sint Laurens, in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands.

When Popkensburg Castle was first built is unknown but it was supposedly founded by a Jan van Popkensborch, a Frisian who settled here. The castle was first mentioned in 1353 when it was rebuilt by Claes of Borselen. In 1426 it went to Adrian of Borselen, who also owned St. Aldegonde Castle which is where he lived. Since then it was probably only home to a steward.

Later the castle went to the Lords of Veere through inheritance. Maximilian of Burgundy, Marquis of Veere, had some work carried out at the castle in 1553. But after he died penniless in 1558 the castle and its lands were publicly sold. Its new owners were supporters of the Spanish Crown, so during the Siege of Middelburg (1572-1574) Popkensburg Castle was garrisoned by Spanish soldiers and therefore escaped being destroyed by Sea Beggars.

In 1631 the castle was bought by Walter Fourmenois. When he died it passed on to his sister who was married to Pieter Boudaen Courten. Through marriages and inheritance the castle came into the hands of Jacob van Citters in 1762. Jacob was mayor of Middelburg, sub-Stadtholder of the island of Walcheren and a member of the Guardianship Board of William V, Prince of Orange, during his minority. Apparently the castle was in a dilapidated state, because Jacob immediately had it restored and made fit for habitation again.

When Jacob died in 1792 the castle went to his son Jacob Verheye van Citters. Being a member of the Court of Holland he didn't reside in the castle but in The Hague. But when the Austrian Netherlands were annexed by the French First Republic in 1795 his political career abruptly ended and he moved into the Popkensburg.

Jacob Verheye's descendants owned the Popkensburg Castle until 1863 when it was sold at a public auction to Agelink van Rentergem. Agelink then had the complete castle demolished, its moat filled in and its gardens dug out and had everything turned nto, more profitable, farmland. The demolition sparked a lot of local protest but without success.

Depictions of the castle, and even some very early photographs, show the castle to have had a rectangular ground plan with a moat and a rectangular bailey, which was also moated.

At present nothing remains of Popkensburg Castle. Its site is now occupied by a small housing community for the elderly.


Gallery