St. Aldegonde Castle

St. Aldegonde Castle is a former castle which was situated in the village of West-Souburg, in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands.

The first castle at this site, Souburg Castle, was probably built in the beginning of the 13th century. It would become the seat of the Lords of Souburg. In 1451 Adrian of Borselen married Maria van Cats at the castle. After her death he remarried in 1457 with Anne of Burgundy, an illegitimate daughter of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. After Adrian died without issue in 1468, the castle fell to the Duke of Burgundy. In 1509 it became the residence of Philip of Burgundy, another illegitimate child of Philip the Good. When he became Bishop of Utrecht in 1517 the castle was sold to Jeronimus de Rollé, bailiff of Veere.

In the beginning of the 80 Years' War the castle was occupied by Sea Beggars. They burned the castle to the ground to prevent it from falling into Spanish hands. Only some walls were left standing. Its remains were bought by Philips of Marnix, Lord of St. Aldegonde, in 1578. He rebuilt the castle and moved in. From then on the castle was called St. Aldegonde Castle. Shortly after he died his heirs sold the castle to the town of Middelburg.

In 1746 the castle was bought by Adriaan Steengracht who had it modernized. After his death in 1770 his heirs let the castle fall into dilapidation. In 1783 it was finally sold for demolition and torn down.

When a new residential area was built during 1971-1972 foundations of St. Aldegonde Castle were found. An archaeological excavation followed which showed that it had been a moated rectangular castle with a rectangular bailey.

At present nothing remains of St. Aldegonde Castle.


Gallery

St. Aldegonde Castle

St. Aldegonde Castle is a former castle which was situated in the village of West-Souburg, in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands.

The first castle at this site, Souburg Castle, was probably built in the beginning of the 13th century. It would become the seat of the Lords of Souburg. In 1451 Adrian of Borselen married Maria van Cats at the castle. After her death he remarried in 1457 with Anne of Burgundy, an illegitimate daughter of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. After Adrian died without issue in 1468, the castle fell to the Duke of Burgundy. In 1509 it became the residence of Philip of Burgundy, another illegitimate child of Philip the Good. When he became Bishop of Utrecht in 1517 the castle was sold to Jeronimus de Rollé, bailiff of Veere.

In the beginning of the 80 Years' War the castle was occupied by Sea Beggars. They burned the castle to the ground to prevent it from falling into Spanish hands. Only some walls were left standing. Its remains were bought by Philips of Marnix, Lord of St. Aldegonde, in 1578. He rebuilt the castle and moved in. From then on the castle was called St. Aldegonde Castle. Shortly after he died his heirs sold the castle to the town of Middelburg.

In 1746 the castle was bought by Adriaan Steengracht who had it modernized. After his death in 1770 his heirs let the castle fall into dilapidation. In 1783 it was finally sold for demolition and torn down.

When a new residential area was built during 1971-1972 foundations of St. Aldegonde Castle were found. An archaeological excavation followed which showed that it had been a moated rectangular castle with a rectangular bailey.

At present nothing remains of St. Aldegonde Castle.


Gallery