Maarssen Castle

Maarssen Castle is a former castle which was situated in the town of the same name, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands.

A fortified residence was probably first built here in 1083 by Emeritus van der Meer. The castle was first mentioned as 'Huys ter Meer' in 1394 when a Van der Meer family member was enfeoffed with it. In stayed in the hands of this family until 1457 when it went to Jacob van Amerongen.

In 1525 the Van Amerongen family sold the castle to the Teutonic Order. Its bailiwick Steven van Zuylen van Nijevelt had the castle considerably enlarged, strengthened and embellished. And although he also changed its name into 'Zuylenburg Castle', it also became known as Maarssen Castle.

Maarssen Castle was given the status of a knightly manor in 1536. From 1546 on until 1788 the castle stayed in the hands of the Van Meertens van Esschenstein family and their descendants. In 1672, after the outbreak of the Franco-Dutch War, the castle was plundered and burned by French troops. It was left as a ruin.

In the early 18th century the medieval castle ruin was cleared and a new mansion was built in its place. By 1903 that mansion had fallen into dilapidation after which it was demolished. Its grounds were parcelled up and completely built over with houses.

At present nothing remains of Maarssen Castle. On the site where the castle once stood is now a residential area.


Gallery

Maarssen Castle

Maarssen Castle is a former castle which was situated in the town of the same name, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands.

A fortified residence was probably first built here in 1083 by Emeritus van der Meer. The castle was first mentioned as 'Huys ter Meer' in 1394 when a Van der Meer family member was enfeoffed with it. In stayed in the hands of this family until 1457 when it went to Jacob van Amerongen.

In 1525 the Van Amerongen family sold the castle to the Teutonic Order. Its bailiwick Steven van Zuylen van Nijevelt had the castle considerably enlarged, strengthened and embellished. And although he also changed its name into 'Zuylenburg Castle', it also became known as Maarssen Castle.

Maarssen Castle was given the status of a knightly manor in 1536. From 1546 on until 1788 the castle stayed in the hands of the Van Meertens van Esschenstein family and their descendants. In 1672, after the outbreak of the Franco-Dutch War, the castle was plundered and burned by French troops. It was left as a ruin.

In the early 18th century the medieval castle ruin was cleared and a new mansion was built in its place. By 1903 that mansion had fallen into dilapidation after which it was demolished. Its grounds were parcelled up and completely built over with houses.

At present nothing remains of Maarssen Castle. On the site where the castle once stood is now a residential area.


Gallery