Baradello Castle

Baradello Castle

Baradello Castle, locally known as Castel Baradello, lies on a hill south of the city of Como, in the Como province in the Lombardy region in Italy.

The hill on which Baradello Castle stands has been used by man since ancient times as pre-Roman archaeological finds attest. Later the hill was occupied by a Byzantine stronghold which was one of the last in the area to surrender to the Lombards in 588 A.D. The oldest parts of the present ruin date back to that time.

After that the site disappeared from the historical record until the 12th century. During the War of Milan against Como the city was destroyed in 1127. Through their alliance with the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa the city was rebuilt. Barbarossa also had Baradello Castle rebuilt in 1158. He visited the castle the next year together with his wife Beatrice I, Countess of Burgundy. He officially donated it to the citizens of Como in 1178.

In the 2nd half of the 13th century the castle was held by Ottone Visconti, Archbishop of Milan. After the Battle of Desio in 1277 several members of the Della Torre family were imprisoned here; they were put in wooden cages and hung from the walls of the keep. Napoleone della Torre died of starvation that way in 1278. Later Canevario and Lombardo della Torre befell the same fate. Guido della Torre managed to escape in 1283, Corrado and Enrico della Torre were freed the next year.

Baradello was remodelled by the Visconti, first in the 14th century and again in the 15th century. Ever time the walls and the keep were raised.

In 1527, by order of emperor Charles V, the castle was dismantled, with the exception of the tower, to prevent it from falling in hands of the French troops that had invaded the Duchy of Milan.

During the 20th century the castle was partly restored and the ruin consolidated.

Baradello Castle can be visited for a fee. During the guided visit you get to climb to the top op the keep. A nice castle ruin.


Gallery

Baradello Castle

Baradello Castle

Baradello Castle, locally known as Castel Baradello, lies on a hill south of the city of Como, in the Como province in the Lombardy region in Italy.

The hill on which Baradello Castle stands has been used by man since ancient times as pre-Roman archaeological finds attest. Later the hill was occupied by a Byzantine stronghold which was one of the last in the area to surrender to the Lombards in 588 A.D. The oldest parts of the present ruin date back to that time.

After that the site disappeared from the historical record until the 12th century. During the War of Milan against Como the city was destroyed in 1127. Through their alliance with the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa the city was rebuilt. Barbarossa also had Baradello Castle rebuilt in 1158. He visited the castle the next year together with his wife Beatrice I, Countess of Burgundy. He officially donated it to the citizens of Como in 1178.

In the 2nd half of the 13th century the castle was held by Ottone Visconti, Archbishop of Milan. After the Battle of Desio in 1277 several members of the Della Torre family were imprisoned here; they were put in wooden cages and hung from the walls of the keep. Napoleone della Torre died of starvation that way in 1278. Later Canevario and Lombardo della Torre befell the same fate. Guido della Torre managed to escape in 1283, Corrado and Enrico della Torre were freed the next year.

Baradello was remodelled by the Visconti, first in the 14th century and again in the 15th century. Ever time the walls and the keep were raised.

In 1527, by order of emperor Charles V, the castle was dismantled, with the exception of the tower, to prevent it from falling in hands of the French troops that had invaded the Duchy of Milan.

During the 20th century the castle was partly restored and the ruin consolidated.

Baradello Castle can be visited for a fee. During the guided visit you get to climb to the top op the keep. A nice castle ruin.


Gallery