Waldeck Castle

Waldeck Castle, locally known as Château de Waldeck, lies above the village of the same name, in the Moselle department in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Northern Vosges.

Waldeck Castle was first mentioned in 1316 but was probably built during the 2nd part of the 13th century by Frederick III, Duke of Lorriane, to defend the eastern parts of his domains. Its location made it an ideal observation post to control the route linking the Alsace to Sturzelbronn Abbey and the Palatinate.

In 1341 a castle peace treaty was signed between the Kirkel and Lichtenberg families governing the cohabitation in the castle. In 1395 the castle became the property of the Counts of Zweibrücken-Bitsch and part of it was pledged to the Lichtenberg family. In 1443 Count Frederick of Zweibrücken-Bitsch became the sole owner of the complete castle.

In 1570 Waldeck Castle passed, through inheritance, to Philipp V, Count of Hanau-Lichtenberg. In 1606, a longstanding difference between Duke Charles III of Lorraine and the Counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg resulted in the castle going to the Duchy of Lorraine. It was finally dismantled by the French troops of Jacques-Nompar de Caumont, Duc de la Force, in 1633.

Waldeck Castle was built upon 3 narrow rocky spurs. The main remnant of the castle is the beautiful slender keep and there are several stairs, cisterns and rooms carved out of the sandstone rocks. It is freely accessible. A very nice, small castle ruin.


Gallery

Waldeck Castle

Waldeck Castle, locally known as Château de Waldeck, lies above the village of the same name, in the Moselle department in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Northern Vosges.

Waldeck Castle was first mentioned in 1316 but was probably built during the 2nd part of the 13th century by Frederick III, Duke of Lorriane, to defend the eastern parts of his domains. Its location made it an ideal observation post to control the route linking the Alsace to Sturzelbronn Abbey and the Palatinate.

In 1341 a castle peace treaty was signed between the Kirkel and Lichtenberg families governing the cohabitation in the castle. In 1395 the castle became the property of the Counts of Zweibrücken-Bitsch and part of it was pledged to the Lichtenberg family. In 1443 Count Frederick of Zweibrücken-Bitsch became the sole owner of the complete castle.

In 1570 Waldeck Castle passed, through inheritance, to Philipp V, Count of Hanau-Lichtenberg. In 1606, a longstanding difference between Duke Charles III of Lorraine and the Counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg resulted in the castle going to the Duchy of Lorraine. It was finally dismantled by the French troops of Jacques-Nompar de Caumont, Duc de la Force, in 1633.

Waldeck Castle was built upon 3 narrow rocky spurs. The main remnant of the castle is the beautiful slender keep and there are several stairs, cisterns and rooms carved out of the sandstone rocks. It is freely accessible. A very nice, small castle ruin.


Gallery