Spesbourg Castle, locally known as Château de Spesbourg or Spesburg, lies northwest of the village of Andlau in the Bas-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Middle Vosges.
The ruin of Spesbourg Castle occupies a granite rock at an altitude of 452 meters. Spesbourg Castle is probably built shortly after 1246 for Alexandre de Dicka, solicitor of the abbey of Andlau. The castle doesn't get mentioned before 1310. In 1386, the Lords of Andlau become its sole owners. After 1550 the castle is abandoned.
The castle includes a square keep and 2 residential buildings within a high circling curtain wall. On the first floor of the living quarters there are still traces of murals present. The western living quarters were demolished in 1550 when the castle was refitted. In the bailey there are remains of 16th century buildings.
This is a very nice ruin, with another one; Haut-Andlau Castle, nearby. You can enter the ruin but the keep is inaccessible.