Haut-Andlau Castle lies north of the village of Andlau in the Bas-Rhin province in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Middle Vosges.
Built on a granite outcrop, which shape it closely follows, on a 451 meter high mountain, Haut-Andlau Castle is composed of an upper castle and a bailey which underwent large alterations in the 16th century to adapt it to the use of firearms. The upper castle is a stretched, polygonal building of 37 by 9 meters. It is flanked by 2 projecting, round keeps at each end. The keeps are 10 meters in diameter with less than 2 meters thick walls and were formerly equipped with slate capped spires. The bailey sheltered industrial buildings and stables and has a 16th century entrance gate.
The castle was built between 1250 and 1264 by Evrard d'Andlau. In 1633 the castle is occupied by Swedish troops. In 1678 it is plundered by the troops of the marshal of Crequi. After it is confiscated during the Revolution, the castle is occupied by foresters until 1796. Then it is bought by an industrialist who, from 1806 on and with great indifference, starts to dismantle and sell the castle stone by stone. In 1822 the castle, which by now has become a ruin, is bought by the community of Andlau. It is classified as a historic building in 1927 and is consolidated around 1930.
A very nice castle ruin with another one; Spesbourg Castle, within 20 minutes walking distance. You can enter the ruin but it's a pity that both keeps are inaccessible.