Monteen Castle lies in a field, in Monteen townland, northwest of the town of Timoleague, in County Cork in Ireland.
It is not known when Monteen Castle was exactly built. Estimates range from 1346 to the mid-15th century. It belonged to a sept of the MacCarthys called the Tuath Mointin.
Monteen Castle was first mentioned in 1598 when Florence Riabhach MacCarthy of Monteen entrusted his foster brother to Hugh O'Neill as a hostage, as a demonstration of loyalty. In 1600 the castle was burnt by Captain Flower. After giving a bond of good behaviour Florence was reinstated, but the castle was lost again following the 1641 insurrection. Walter Coppinger took possession but he allowed the MacCarthys Mointins to remain in occupation as tennants. The name Monteen was last mentioned around 1690 when a Diarmuid Tresilea O´Hurley of the Ballinacarriga sept probably lived there. Assumed is that is was destroyed, perhaps burnt following the Battle of the Boyne.
Monteen Castle was a rectangular tower of, originally, 4 storeys, of which now only 3 remain. The ruined building next to it is a 18th century house.
A small ruined tower, but nice. The field in which it stands is private property so it can not be visited.