Lallaing Castle, locally known as Ancien château des comtes de Lallaing, lies in the center of the village of Lallaing in the Nord department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in France.
A feudal castle at this site was first mentioned at the end of the 12th century. It belonged to the Lords of the Lalaing family. How this castle looked is only known from a couple of drawings by A. de Montigny, which he made for a series of books, called Albums de Croÿ, that showed the possessions of the Croÿ family in the early 17th century. According to these drawings Lallaing Castle was a large castle with several towers, gates and an impressive square keep which dominated the village. The castle was circled by a moat which was fed by the Scarpe river, which at that time flowed nearby.
In 1674, Lallaing Castle was destroyed by the troops of Louis XIV, King of France.
In 1699-1700 a new small chateau was built on the ruins of the medieval castle by the Duke of Aremberg. At that time the present gate was also redesigned. This chateau was later bought by Mr. Morel, mayor of Lallaing from 1874 till 1918. Since then it was known was Chateau Morel. In 1959 this chateau was also demolished and a new town hall was built in its place. So now all that is left of Lallaing Castle is this gate.
The remnant of Lallaing Castle can freely be visited. A very simple and small remnant, not very interesting.