Al Fahidi Fort

Al Fahidi Fort, sometimes also called Dubai Fort, lies in the center of the city of Dubai, in the emirateĀ of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

The oldest part of Al Fahidi Fort is the slender round watch tower, which dates back to around 1787. This makes it the oldest building still in existance in Dubai. This tower was incorporated into a fort in 1799. The fort, then situated at the edge of urban Dubai, guarded the landward approaches to the town from the raids of rivalling tribes. The town was also protected by a town wall and several towers.

Between the 1830's and the 1850's major expansion works were carried out at the fort under the rule of Sheikh Maktoum bin Butti bin Sohal. During its existence the fort was used as a seat of the ruler, a weapons and artillery aresenal and even as a prison. In 1970 the fort was restored after which it was taken in use as a museum.

The fort has a square ground plan with 2 projecting round towers on opposite corners and a rectangular one at a 3rd corner. It was build out of coral rocks, mud bricks and mortar. The low irregular wall visible in front of the slender watch tower is a remnant of the town wall.

At present Al Fahidi Fort can be visited for a fee as a guest of the Dubai Museum. A very nice fort and a nice museum although at times a bit overrun by tourists.


Gallery

Al Fahidi Fort

Al Fahidi Fort, sometimes also called Dubai Fort, lies in the center of the city of Dubai, in the emirateĀ of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

The oldest part of Al Fahidi Fort is the slender round watch tower, which dates back to around 1787. This makes it the oldest building still in existance in Dubai. This tower was incorporated into a fort in 1799. The fort, then situated at the edge of urban Dubai, guarded the landward approaches to the town from the raids of rivalling tribes. The town was also protected by a town wall and several towers.

Between the 1830's and the 1850's major expansion works were carried out at the fort under the rule of Sheikh Maktoum bin Butti bin Sohal. During its existence the fort was used as a seat of the ruler, a weapons and artillery aresenal and even as a prison. In 1970 the fort was restored after which it was taken in use as a museum.

The fort has a square ground plan with 2 projecting round towers on opposite corners and a rectangular one at a 3rd corner. It was build out of coral rocks, mud bricks and mortar. The low irregular wall visible in front of the slender watch tower is a remnant of the town wall.

At present Al Fahidi Fort can be visited for a fee as a guest of the Dubai Museum. A very nice fort and a nice museum although at times a bit overrun by tourists.


Gallery