Boussu Castle

Boussu Castle, locally known as Château de Boussu, lies in the village of Boussu-en-Fagne in the valley of the Eau Blanche stream, in the province of Namur in the Wallonia region in Belgium.

The first fortification at this site probably dates back to a period somewhere between the 11th and 14th century. Its Lords were provosts of the town of Couvin.

In the second half of the 16th century the castle was rebuilt when it was owned by the rich and powerful Boussu family. The gate and the round corner tower, with its artillery openings, date back to that building phase.

Later Boussu Castle was bought by a Jean de Marotte. In 1625 it went to the Kiévrain family. In 1677 the L-shaped building next to the gate was built.

The free standing stables and the square tower were built in 1748.

In 1860 the entire castle was renovated in a neo-classical style by the architect Suys on the orders of its owner Auguste Licot, an ironmaster from Nismes. In 1897 Boussu Castle was bought by the De Villermont family.

At present Boussu Castle is owned by the Count and Countess de Villermont and can not be visited but it can be rented for meetings. A very nice, lordly castle.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/boussu-castle#sigFreeId43f7a8188c

Boussu Castle

Boussu Castle, locally known as Château de Boussu, lies in the village of Boussu-en-Fagne in the valley of the Eau Blanche stream, in the province of Namur in the Wallonia region in Belgium.

The first fortification at this site probably dates back to a period somewhere between the 11th and 14th century. Its Lords were provosts of the town of Couvin.

In the second half of the 16th century the castle was rebuilt when it was owned by the rich and powerful Boussu family. The gate and the round corner tower, with its artillery openings, date back to that building phase.

Later Boussu Castle was bought by a Jean de Marotte. In 1625 it went to the Kiévrain family. In 1677 the L-shaped building next to the gate was built.

The free standing stables and the square tower were built in 1748.

In 1860 the entire castle was renovated in a neo-classical style by the architect Suys on the orders of its owner Auguste Licot, an ironmaster from Nismes. In 1897 Boussu Castle was bought by the De Villermont family.

At present Boussu Castle is owned by the Count and Countess de Villermont and can not be visited but it can be rented for meetings. A very nice, lordly castle.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/boussu-castle#sigFreeId43f7a8188c