Berg Castle, locally known as Château de Berg or Schloss Berg, lies on the westside of the village of Colmar-Berg, south of the town of Ettelbruck in Luxembourg.
The origins of Berg Castle date back to the early 15th century. It was probably built after the lands of an older, now disappeared, castle, which stood nearby, were divided during an inheritance.
In 1845 the castle was bought from the Pasquier estate by William II, Grand Duke of Luxembourg and member of the Dutch Royal family, after the Belgian Revolution had divided Luxembourg from the Netherlands and also into two parts. In 1848, the estate was recognised as the exclusive home of the Grand Duke by the newly-promulgated constitution.
In 1891 the new Grand Duke, Adolphe, purchased Berg Castle, in order to maintain the Grand Ducal estate at Colmar-Berg after the Dutch left.
In 1906, William IV had the old castle demolished and a new one constructed in its place. Work on the new castle began in 1907, and was completed in 1911, after which it became the primary residence of the Grand Ducal family. This is the castle we see today.
During World War II, the castle was occupied by the Germans. They made many alterations to the castle and used it to re-educate local girls. After the war, the restoration of the castle took several years, and it was only re-occupied by the Grand Ducal family in 1964, when Grand Duke Jean acceded to the throne.
At present it is still the home of the Grand Ducal family so it can not be visited. The complete estate is protected by walls and safety fences and is guarded.