Beaufort Castle

Beaufort Castle, locally also known as Burg Befort, lies in the village of the same name, east of the town of Diekirch in Luxembourg.

Beaufort Castle was probably built in the beginning of the 11th century as a modest rectangular fort on a large rock. It is possible that there already stood not only a 9th century fortification here, which protected the large estates of the abbey of Echternach, but even a Roman fort. Around 1150 the castle was strengthened. In 1192 Walter von Wiltz was mentioned as the first Lord of Befort.

Through marriage the castle went to the Orley family in 1348. The Orley family enlarged the castle considerably. In 1477 the castle was confiscated by the Emperor Maximillian on account of treason by Johan of Orley. Around 1500 the castle was owned by Bernard of Velbrück. Through marriage the castle went to Gaspard de Heu. He was known as a robber knight and a supporter of the rebelling Dutch. After his execution in 1593 the castle was again confiscated.

During the 30-Years-War the Lords of Beaufort were financially ruined and so the castle was sold in 1639 to Johann, Baron of Beck and Governor of Luxembourg for the Spanish King. He decided that the old castle didn't fit his noble ambitions and ordered the building of new Renaissance style castle directly west of it. When the new castle was finished the old castle was abandoned and gradually fell into decay.

The deterioration of the old castle into a ruin went even quicker when the Lord of Beaufort moved out of the new castle in the beginning of the 18th century. From then on the owners only visited the site for a few times each year when they came hunting. The old castle was even used as a quarry.

In 1850 this was halted when the castle was proclaimed a protected monument by the Luxembourg government.

But even then the castle wasn't free from harm. In WW II, during the Von Rundstedt-offensive the castle ruin had to endure a lot of shellfire.

At present the ruins of the old castle can be visited for a small fee. I think this is a beautiful ruin but because this is one of the better known castles in Luxembourg it can be overrun by tourists.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/beaufort-castle#sigFreeId259623acda

Beaufort Castle

Beaufort Castle, locally also known as Burg Befort, lies in the village of the same name, east of the town of Diekirch in Luxembourg.

Beaufort Castle was probably built in the beginning of the 11th century as a modest rectangular fort on a large rock. It is possible that there already stood not only a 9th century fortification here, which protected the large estates of the abbey of Echternach, but even a Roman fort. Around 1150 the castle was strengthened. In 1192 Walter von Wiltz was mentioned as the first Lord of Befort.

Through marriage the castle went to the Orley family in 1348. The Orley family enlarged the castle considerably. In 1477 the castle was confiscated by the Emperor Maximillian on account of treason by Johan of Orley. Around 1500 the castle was owned by Bernard of Velbrück. Through marriage the castle went to Gaspard de Heu. He was known as a robber knight and a supporter of the rebelling Dutch. After his execution in 1593 the castle was again confiscated.

During the 30-Years-War the Lords of Beaufort were financially ruined and so the castle was sold in 1639 to Johann, Baron of Beck and Governor of Luxembourg for the Spanish King. He decided that the old castle didn't fit his noble ambitions and ordered the building of new Renaissance style castle directly west of it. When the new castle was finished the old castle was abandoned and gradually fell into decay.

The deterioration of the old castle into a ruin went even quicker when the Lord of Beaufort moved out of the new castle in the beginning of the 18th century. From then on the owners only visited the site for a few times each year when they came hunting. The old castle was even used as a quarry.

In 1850 this was halted when the castle was proclaimed a protected monument by the Luxembourg government.

But even then the castle wasn't free from harm. In WW II, during the Von Rundstedt-offensive the castle ruin had to endure a lot of shellfire.

At present the ruins of the old castle can be visited for a small fee. I think this is a beautiful ruin but because this is one of the better known castles in Luxembourg it can be overrun by tourists.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/beaufort-castle#sigFreeId259623acda