Vaite Castle

Vaite Castle, locally known as Château de Vaite, lies on a wooded ridge north west of the village of Champlive in the Doubs department in France.

Vaite Castle was built in the first half of the 13th century on top of a hill overlooking a bend in the Doubs river. It then belonged to the Lords of Montfaucon. Around 1480 it was burnt down by the troops of Louis XI of France.

The Lallemand family bought the seigneury of Vaite in the middle of the 16th century. They rebuilt the castle and equipped it with a curtain wall.

In 1643, during the Thirty Years' War, the castle was fruitlessly besieged by a band of Lorrainers. During a sortie from the castle during that siege Claude-Antoine of Cléron was killed. In 1668 it was besieged again, this time by French troops who were able to take it. It was retaken shortly afterwards.

Vaite Castle was maintained by the Lallemand family until 1792. In 1793 the castle was demolished on the order of the General Council of Doubs to prevent it from becoming a den of brigands. 

At present Vaite Castle can not be visited. A nice forgotten castle ruin although not much remains beside the ruined keep.


Gallery

Vaite Castle

Vaite Castle, locally known as Château de Vaite, lies on a wooded ridge north west of the village of Champlive in the Doubs department in France.

Vaite Castle was built in the first half of the 13th century on top of a hill overlooking a bend in the Doubs river. It then belonged to the Lords of Montfaucon. Around 1480 it was burnt down by the troops of Louis XI of France.

The Lallemand family bought the seigneury of Vaite in the middle of the 16th century. They rebuilt the castle and equipped it with a curtain wall.

In 1643, during the Thirty Years' War, the castle was fruitlessly besieged by a band of Lorrainers. During a sortie from the castle during that siege Claude-Antoine of Cléron was killed. In 1668 it was besieged again, this time by French troops who were able to take it. It was retaken shortly afterwards.

Vaite Castle was maintained by the Lallemand family until 1792. In 1793 the castle was demolished on the order of the General Council of Doubs to prevent it from becoming a den of brigands. 

At present Vaite Castle can not be visited. A nice forgotten castle ruin although not much remains beside the ruined keep.


Gallery