previousnext

Schlossberg Castle

Château du Schlossberg

Schlossberg Castle, locally known as Château du Schlossberg, lies in the town of Forbach in the Moselle department in France.

When the castle was first built is unknown, estimates range from the 11th to the early 13th century. It was built on a hill overlooking the old road between Metz and Worms. The castle was mentioned for the first time in 1257. At that time it consisted of a walled palace with a square keep.

In the second quarter of the 15th century Schlossberg Castle was rebuilt by Arnold VI, Lord of Sierck. He enlarged the enclosure and added a new gate. He also built a new tower at the site of the present tower and stables.

In the middle of the 16th century the castle was turned into a fortified Renaissance palace by the Lords of Hohenfels-Reipoltskirchen. A new corner tower and a bastion were erected. This however did not prevent the castle from being looted in 1591, by the Palatine troops of Christian I, Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg, who was supporting Henry IV of France against the Duke of Lorraine.

The Counts of Leiningen Westerburg and Eberstein restored the damaged castle and by 1607 additional fortifications were built; amongst which a new bastion. When the works were finished the castle counted at least 6 towers. Only a couple of decades later, in 1634, Schlossberg Castle was dismantled by Jacques Nompar de Caumont La Force, Marshal of France, on the order of Louis XIII of France because the latter deemed the castle a threat to France's interests in Lorraine. After that the castle was nothing more than a ruin.

At the time of the French Revolution, at the end of the 18th century, the castle ruin became a stone quarry. This stopped when the site was bought by a local industrialist; Gustave Adt, at the end of the 19th century. He had archaeological excavations carried out and had the present lookout tower built on the site of a former corner tower in 1891. At the foot of the castle hill he had a castellated farmhouse built; called the Burghof, part of which he used as a residence.

At present the site of Schlossberg Castle is a public park. The old farmhouse now acts as an entrance to the park and houses a restaurant. A congress center in the same style as the farm was added in modern times. A nice small castle ruin in a friendly park.


Gallery

previousnext

Schlossberg Castle

Château du Schlossberg

Schlossberg Castle, locally known as Château du Schlossberg, lies in the town of Forbach in the Moselle department in France.

When the castle was first built is unknown, estimates range from the 11th to the early 13th century. It was built on a hill overlooking the old road between Metz and Worms. The castle was mentioned for the first time in 1257. At that time it consisted of a walled palace with a square keep.

In the second quarter of the 15th century Schlossberg Castle was rebuilt by Arnold VI, Lord of Sierck. He enlarged the enclosure and added a new gate. He also built a new tower at the site of the present tower and stables.

In the middle of the 16th century the castle was turned into a fortified Renaissance palace by the Lords of Hohenfels-Reipoltskirchen. A new corner tower and a bastion were erected. This however did not prevent the castle from being looted in 1591, by the Palatine troops of Christian I, Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg, who was supporting Henry IV of France against the Duke of Lorraine.

The Counts of Leiningen Westerburg and Eberstein restored the damaged castle and by 1607 additional fortifications were built; amongst which a new bastion. When the works were finished the castle counted at least 6 towers. Only a couple of decades later, in 1634, Schlossberg Castle was dismantled by Jacques Nompar de Caumont La Force, Marshal of France, on the order of Louis XIII of France because the latter deemed the castle a threat to France's interests in Lorraine. After that the castle was nothing more than a ruin.

At the time of the French Revolution, at the end of the 18th century, the castle ruin became a stone quarry. This stopped when the site was bought by a local industrialist; Gustave Adt, at the end of the 19th century. He had archaeological excavations carried out and had the present lookout tower built on the site of a former corner tower in 1891. At the foot of the castle hill he had a castellated farmhouse built; called the Burghof, part of which he used as a residence.

At present the site of Schlossberg Castle is a public park. The old farmhouse now acts as an entrance to the park and houses a restaurant. A congress center in the same style as the farm was added in modern times. A nice small castle ruin in a friendly park.


Gallery