previousnext

Sarreguemines Castle

Château de Sarreguemines

Sarreguemines Castle, locally known as Château de Sarreguemines, lies in the town of the same name in the Moselle department in France.

Exactly when or by whom Sarreguemines Castle was first built is unknown. It's foundation is believed to have been in the 10th century. It was built on a high point above the confluence of the Saar river and its tributary, the Blies, guarding a ford at the meeting point of 2 important trade routes; the Lombardo-Flemish route and the salt route from the Saulnois region.

The castle was first mentioned in 1125 when it came into the possession of the Counts of Spanheim-Morsberg. In the course of the 13th century it was acquired by the Duke of Lorraine. While being property of the Duchy, it was visited by the Duke but cared for by his castellans. Around 1477 Sarreguemines Castle and town were taken by the troops of Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy.

In 1634 Sarreguemines castle was dismantled on the order of Cardinal Richelieu. In 1680 however the castle was restored again by Louis XIV and then was used to house military commanders. In 1713 military barracks were built within the castle walls. After the French Revolution, at the end of the 18th century, the castle was used to house the local police force and from 1825 until 1876 it was also used as a prison.

Later the castle was sold to the Alsace-Lorraine railway company after it was ruined due to the construction of a railway tunnel underneath it. The company then demolished what was left in 1900. Only the castle gate with a flanking artillery tower and some foundations remained.

At present the site of Sarreguemines Castle is used as a small neighborhood park and freely accessible. Not a very interesting site.


Gallery

previousnext

Sarreguemines Castle

Château de Sarreguemines

Sarreguemines Castle, locally known as Château de Sarreguemines, lies in the town of the same name in the Moselle department in France.

Exactly when or by whom Sarreguemines Castle was first built is unknown. It's foundation is believed to have been in the 10th century. It was built on a high point above the confluence of the Saar river and its tributary, the Blies, guarding a ford at the meeting point of 2 important trade routes; the Lombardo-Flemish route and the salt route from the Saulnois region.

The castle was first mentioned in 1125 when it came into the possession of the Counts of Spanheim-Morsberg. In the course of the 13th century it was acquired by the Duke of Lorraine. While being property of the Duchy, it was visited by the Duke but cared for by his castellans. Around 1477 Sarreguemines Castle and town were taken by the troops of Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy.

In 1634 Sarreguemines castle was dismantled on the order of Cardinal Richelieu. In 1680 however the castle was restored again by Louis XIV and then was used to house military commanders. In 1713 military barracks were built within the castle walls. After the French Revolution, at the end of the 18th century, the castle was used to house the local police force and from 1825 until 1876 it was also used as a prison.

Later the castle was sold to the Alsace-Lorraine railway company after it was ruined due to the construction of a railway tunnel underneath it. The company then demolished what was left in 1900. Only the castle gate with a flanking artillery tower and some foundations remained.

At present the site of Sarreguemines Castle is used as a small neighborhood park and freely accessible. Not a very interesting site.


Gallery