Mardogne Tower

Mardogne Tower, locally known as Tour de Mardogne, lies west of the village of Joursac, in the Cantal department in France.

Mardogne Tower is actually the remnant of a castle which was built by the Lord of Mardogne, probably in the 12th century, on a basaltic plateau overlooking the plain of Neussargues. A Lord of Mardogne, Pierre Ithier de Bréon, was however already mentioned in 1066. The Bréons kept the castle until the mid-14th century when it passed to the Thynières family through marriage.

In 1477 the Mardogne Castle passed, again through marriage, to Germain de Foix. In the 2nd part of the 16th century it passed to the Lastic family through inheritance. Somewhere during the 17th century the castle was sold to Jean Dufour de Villeneuve who, on the same day, sold it on to the Prince of Conti. And so the lands of Mardogne were incorporated into the Duchy of Mercœur.

A fire destroyed the castle in 1720 after which it became a stone quarry for the locals.

At present Mardogne Tower stands on private farmland. The owners, living in the house near it, are apparently very private as even the fence around the property is electrified and there is a ferocious watchdog running around. So it can not be visited but only viewed from a distance. A nice tower, a pity that the owners are so hostile.


Gallery

Mardogne Tower

Mardogne Tower, locally known as Tour de Mardogne, lies west of the village of Joursac, in the Cantal department in France.

Mardogne Tower is actually the remnant of a castle which was built by the Lord of Mardogne, probably in the 12th century, on a basaltic plateau overlooking the plain of Neussargues. A Lord of Mardogne, Pierre Ithier de Bréon, was however already mentioned in 1066. The Bréons kept the castle until the mid-14th century when it passed to the Thynières family through marriage.

In 1477 the Mardogne Castle passed, again through marriage, to Germain de Foix. In the 2nd part of the 16th century it passed to the Lastic family through inheritance. Somewhere during the 17th century the castle was sold to Jean Dufour de Villeneuve who, on the same day, sold it on to the Prince of Conti. And so the lands of Mardogne were incorporated into the Duchy of Mercœur.

A fire destroyed the castle in 1720 after which it became a stone quarry for the locals.

At present Mardogne Tower stands on private farmland. The owners, living in the house near it, are apparently very private as even the fence around the property is electrified and there is a ferocious watchdog running around. So it can not be visited but only viewed from a distance. A nice tower, a pity that the owners are so hostile.


Gallery