Kagenfels Castle

Kagenfels Castle, locally known as Château du Kagenfels, lies west of Mont Ste. Odile, in the Bas-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Middle Vosges.

Kagenfels Castle was founded in 1262 by Albrecht Kage or Von Kagen, an episcopal ministerial. It was a small castle on a rocky outcrop, deep in the forest of Obernai. Even though situated on a remote spot is was besieged several times; in 1383, 1390, 1397 and 1424.

The successful siege of 1424 was done by the combined troops of Wilhelm II von Diest, bishop of Strasbourg, and Ludwig IV von Lichtenberg. Afterwards the bishop entrusted the damaged castle to his vassal Heinrich von Hohenstein, who then rebuilt it. It was damaged again in 1426, this time by an accidental fire.

Sometime before 1502 the castle passed to the Uttenheim zu Ramstein family. They carried out many alterations and adapted the old castle to the use of new artillery.

In 1559 it was sold to Lux von Viscbock. He added several buildings intended for economic use and gave the castle its present name; "Kagenfels". He later sold it to the town of Obernai, who still own it to this day. By 1599 Kagenfels was still inhabited although partially ruined.

The castle was probably abandoned during the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). By 1664 it was described as being a ruin and in 1684 as having been abandoned and just a heap of stones. The castle then faded from memory and was only identified again as Kagenfels Castle in 1828.

Since 1999 an association of volunteers, together with the local council, is working to excavate and consolidate the castle ruin.

At present Kagenfels Castle can freely be visited but is only accessible on Saturdays when the volunteers are at work. A very nice small castle ruin on a remote location. It takes a hike of about 45-50 min over forests paths to get there.


Gallery

Kagenfels Castle

Kagenfels Castle, locally known as Château du Kagenfels, lies west of Mont Ste. Odile, in the Bas-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Middle Vosges.

Kagenfels Castle was founded in 1262 by Albrecht Kage or Von Kagen, an episcopal ministerial. It was a small castle on a rocky outcrop, deep in the forest of Obernai. Even though situated on a remote spot is was besieged several times; in 1383, 1390, 1397 and 1424.

The successful siege of 1424 was done by the combined troops of Wilhelm II von Diest, bishop of Strasbourg, and Ludwig IV von Lichtenberg. Afterwards the bishop entrusted the damaged castle to his vassal Heinrich von Hohenstein, who then rebuilt it. It was damaged again in 1426, this time by an accidental fire.

Sometime before 1502 the castle passed to the Uttenheim zu Ramstein family. They carried out many alterations and adapted the old castle to the use of new artillery.

In 1559 it was sold to Lux von Viscbock. He added several buildings intended for economic use and gave the castle its present name; "Kagenfels". He later sold it to the town of Obernai, who still own it to this day. By 1599 Kagenfels was still inhabited although partially ruined.

The castle was probably abandoned during the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). By 1664 it was described as being a ruin and in 1684 as having been abandoned and just a heap of stones. The castle then faded from memory and was only identified again as Kagenfels Castle in 1828.

Since 1999 an association of volunteers, together with the local council, is working to excavate and consolidate the castle ruin.

At present Kagenfels Castle can freely be visited but is only accessible on Saturdays when the volunteers are at work. A very nice small castle ruin on a remote location. It takes a hike of about 45-50 min over forests paths to get there.


Gallery