Hagueneck Castle

Hagueneck Castle, locally known as Château du Hagueneck (sometimes also spelled as Hageneck), lies above the village of Wettolsheim, in the Haut-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Southern Alsace or the Vosges.

Hagueneck Castle was probably built around 1230. It was probably built more as a residence than for military use; situated at the end of a wooded valley far from main lines of communication.

It was first mentioned in 1263 and was then held by a Burckhard de Hagueneck, a vassal of the Bishop of Strasbourg. In 1300 the castle was sold to the Laubegasse/Laubgassen family, after which it was burned down in 1304 during a conflict between local lords. It was rebuilt but it disappeared from further historical records, although it passed through the hands of several owners, amongst which the House of Habsburg and the Lords of Ribeaupierre, in later centuries.

That lasted until the 17th century when, during the Thirty Years' War, the castle was destroyed by Swedish troops after which it was abanadoned. It was incorporated into the possessions of the Knights Hospitaller in 1674.

During the French Revolution Hagueneck Castle was confiscated and sold as national property. It is now owned by the local council.

At present Hagueneck Castle is freely accessible and can be reached by a 5-minute walk from the nearest road. A very nice secluded castle ruin. It lies beneath the touristic "Route of the 5 Castles" which runs between Pflixbourg, Hohlandsbourg and the 3 Éguisheim castles.


Gallery

Hagueneck Castle

Hagueneck Castle, locally known as Château du Hagueneck (sometimes also spelled as Hageneck), lies above the village of Wettolsheim, in the Haut-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Southern Alsace or the Vosges.

Hagueneck Castle was probably built around 1230. It was probably built more as a residence than for military use; situated at the end of a wooded valley far from main lines of communication.

It was first mentioned in 1263 and was then held by a Burckhard de Hagueneck, a vassal of the Bishop of Strasbourg. In 1300 the castle was sold to the Laubegasse/Laubgassen family, after which it was burned down in 1304 during a conflict between local lords. It was rebuilt but it disappeared from further historical records, although it passed through the hands of several owners, amongst which the House of Habsburg and the Lords of Ribeaupierre, in later centuries.

That lasted until the 17th century when, during the Thirty Years' War, the castle was destroyed by Swedish troops after which it was abanadoned. It was incorporated into the possessions of the Knights Hospitaller in 1674.

During the French Revolution Hagueneck Castle was confiscated and sold as national property. It is now owned by the local council.

At present Hagueneck Castle is freely accessible and can be reached by a 5-minute walk from the nearest road. A very nice secluded castle ruin. It lies beneath the touristic "Route of the 5 Castles" which runs between Pflixbourg, Hohlandsbourg and the 3 Éguisheim castles.


Gallery