Grand-Geroldseck Castle

Grand-Geroldseck Castle, locally known as Château du Grand-Geroldseck, lies on a mountain west of the village of Haegen, in the Bas-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Middle Vosges.

Grand-Geroldseck Castle was built during the 12th century by the Geroldseck family. They were loyal vassals of the Bishop of Metz and attached to the Marmoutier Abbey. The castle served to protect the interests of the abbey. The Geroldsecks held on to it until around 1361 when it was parceled up between several relatives who became co-owners.

Probably in the 13th or early 14th century, some of the co-owners apparently wanted to distance themselves from the others and erected a new castle just some 200 meters south of the old castle. That castle would become Petit-Geroldseck Castle.

In 1471, the castle had become a den of robber knights and the castle was destroyed as a result. By that time Petit-Geroldseck was probably already abandoned. Grand-Geroldseck was never rebuilt and in 1507 it was described as a ruin. In 1718 the keep was struck by lightning and partially collapsed.

Grand-Geroldseck is currently in the process of being consolidated by volunteers. A square keep of 22 meters high, erected around 1200, dominates the entrance to the castle. The already consolidated cellars of a main building can also be seen.

At present Grand-Geroldseck Castle can freely be visited. It is located only some 800 meters south from Haut-Barr Castle.


Gallery

Grand-Geroldseck Castle

Grand-Geroldseck Castle, locally known as Château du Grand-Geroldseck, lies on a mountain west of the village of Haegen, in the Bas-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Northern Alsace or the Middle Vosges.

Grand-Geroldseck Castle was built during the 12th century by the Geroldseck family. They were loyal vassals of the Bishop of Metz and attached to the Marmoutier Abbey. The castle served to protect the interests of the abbey. The Geroldsecks held on to it until around 1361 when it was parceled up between several relatives who became co-owners.

Probably in the 13th or early 14th century, some of the co-owners apparently wanted to distance themselves from the others and erected a new castle just some 200 meters south of the old castle. That castle would become Petit-Geroldseck Castle.

In 1471, the castle had become a den of robber knights and the castle was destroyed as a result. By that time Petit-Geroldseck was probably already abandoned. Grand-Geroldseck was never rebuilt and in 1507 it was described as a ruin. In 1718 the keep was struck by lightning and partially collapsed.

Grand-Geroldseck is currently in the process of being consolidated by volunteers. A square keep of 22 meters high, erected around 1200, dominates the entrance to the castle. The already consolidated cellars of a main building can also be seen.

At present Grand-Geroldseck Castle can freely be visited. It is located only some 800 meters south from Haut-Barr Castle.


Gallery