English Tower

English Tower

The English Tower, locally known as Kulla Inglizit, lies in the city of Shkodër, in the county of Shkodër in Albania.

This tower, although it may look medieval, was actually built, together with the attached mansion, in the last quarter of the 19th century by the English Lord Alfred Paget. It was built as the headquarters of the Protestant Missionaries in Albania. The tower was originally a clock tower.

Later, in the early 20th century, the mansion became the residence of Lord Paget's son; George Thomas Cavendish Paget. George Paget was a member of the Anglo-Albanian Association, which at the time promoted recognition of an independent Albania.

After WWII, when Albania became a communist state, the complex was nationalized. The mansion was then turned into an ethnographic museum, while the tower was used by a fire protection agency. The clocks were removed from the tower on the order of Enver Hoxha; the communist leader of Albania from 1941 until 1985. After the museum transferred to a new location in 1990, the complex fell into serious neglect.

The tower itself is not accessible. The mansion with the surrounding garden are now used as a restaurant. A very nice tower.


Gallery

English Tower

English Tower

The English Tower, locally known as Kulla Inglizit, lies in the city of Shkodër, in the county of Shkodër in Albania.

This tower, although it may look medieval, was actually built, together with the attached mansion, in the last quarter of the 19th century by the English Lord Alfred Paget. It was built as the headquarters of the Protestant Missionaries in Albania. The tower was originally a clock tower.

Later, in the early 20th century, the mansion became the residence of Lord Paget's son; George Thomas Cavendish Paget. George Paget was a member of the Anglo-Albanian Association, which at the time promoted recognition of an independent Albania.

After WWII, when Albania became a communist state, the complex was nationalized. The mansion was then turned into an ethnographic museum, while the tower was used by a fire protection agency. The clocks were removed from the tower on the order of Enver Hoxha; the communist leader of Albania from 1941 until 1985. After the museum transferred to a new location in 1990, the complex fell into serious neglect.

The tower itself is not accessible. The mansion with the surrounding garden are now used as a restaurant. A very nice tower.


Gallery