Commarin Castle

Château de Commarin

Commarin Castle, locally known as Château de Commarin, lies in the village of the same name in the Côte-d'Or department in France.

The first building at this site was probably a Roman villa. Commarin was first mentioned in 1214, not as a castle but as a fortified house. That house transformed into a real castle during the next century and its owners took Commarin as their family name.

In 1346 the last of the male Commarins died and the castle passed to the Cortiambles family through the marriage with a female Commarin. They held it until 1419 when it passed to the family of Jaucourt de Dinteville also through marriage. Again through marriage, the castle passed to the Vienne family in 1499.

The Viennes completely rebuilt Commarin Castle during the 17th and early 18th century so that only the present 2 round towers date back to the 14th century. Two other round towers on the south facade and all enclosures and fortifications were removed in order to clear the view and build the present castle, together with its stables and 2 square towers.

The grandmother of Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord; Marie-Judith de Vienne, Countess of Commarin, then took charge of the embellishment and interior decoration of the castle. She married Joseph-François de Damas, Marquis of Antigny, in 1725, thus bringing the castle in hands of the Damas-d'Antigny family.

Commarin Castle escaped damages and lootings during the French Revolution and in 1802, again through marriage, passed to the Count of Vogüé. To this day the castle is owned by the Vogüé family. So, through a female line, they are the 26th generation of the original owners.

At present Commarin Castle can be visited for a fee. A nice castle.


Gallery

Commarin Castle

Château de Commarin

Commarin Castle, locally known as Château de Commarin, lies in the village of the same name in the Côte-d'Or department in France.

The first building at this site was probably a Roman villa. Commarin was first mentioned in 1214, not as a castle but as a fortified house. That house transformed into a real castle during the next century and its owners took Commarin as their family name.

In 1346 the last of the male Commarins died and the castle passed to the Cortiambles family through the marriage with a female Commarin. They held it until 1419 when it passed to the family of Jaucourt de Dinteville also through marriage. Again through marriage, the castle passed to the Vienne family in 1499.

The Viennes completely rebuilt Commarin Castle during the 17th and early 18th century so that only the present 2 round towers date back to the 14th century. Two other round towers on the south facade and all enclosures and fortifications were removed in order to clear the view and build the present castle, together with its stables and 2 square towers.

The grandmother of Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord; Marie-Judith de Vienne, Countess of Commarin, then took charge of the embellishment and interior decoration of the castle. She married Joseph-François de Damas, Marquis of Antigny, in 1725, thus bringing the castle in hands of the Damas-d'Antigny family.

Commarin Castle escaped damages and lootings during the French Revolution and in 1802, again through marriage, passed to the Count of Vogüé. To this day the castle is owned by the Vogüé family. So, through a female line, they are the 26th generation of the original owners.

At present Commarin Castle can be visited for a fee. A nice castle.


Gallery