Agnellengo Castle

Agnellengo Castle

Agnellengo Castle, locally known as Castello di Agnellengo, lies in the village of the same name, in the Novara province in the Piedmont region in Italy.

Agnellengo Castle dates back to the 11th or 12th century. It was first part of a mixed monastery of the Umiliati, who moved out in 1314. During the 15th century it was rebuilt by the Cacciatore family who had the tower built in 1420. Originally the square castle was surrounded by a moat.

It was held by high-ranking Spanish officials until 1649 when it was passed on the the Jesuits, who held it until their suppression in 1773. It then fell into the hands of the Alfiano family, who held it until 1826. Then it passed to the Bono family. 

Agnellengo Castle is now partly in use as a restaurant. A rather bland rural castle, not very interesting.


Gallery

Agnellengo Castle

Agnellengo Castle

Agnellengo Castle, locally known as Castello di Agnellengo, lies in the village of the same name, in the Novara province in the Piedmont region in Italy.

Agnellengo Castle dates back to the 11th or 12th century. It was first part of a mixed monastery of the Umiliati, who moved out in 1314. During the 15th century it was rebuilt by the Cacciatore family who had the tower built in 1420. Originally the square castle was surrounded by a moat.

It was held by high-ranking Spanish officials until 1649 when it was passed on the the Jesuits, who held it until their suppression in 1773. It then fell into the hands of the Alfiano family, who held it until 1826. Then it passed to the Bono family. 

Agnellengo Castle is now partly in use as a restaurant. A rather bland rural castle, not very interesting.


Gallery