Adalet Kasrı Tower

Adalet Kasrı Tower

Adalet Kasrı Tower, locally simply known as Adalet Kasrı, stands north of the city of Edirne, in the province of Edirne in Turkey.

In 1450 construction of Edirne Palace was begun under the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Murad II. It was built north of the city on the west bank of the Tunca river. The palace complex was continually maintained and extended until it consisted of over 100 buildings in the 18th century. After having suffered damages from an earthquake, a fire and a Russian occupation it was finally intentionally blown up on the order of Ottoman Edirne Governor in fear of nearing Russian forces during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–78. Its remains were then used as quarry by the locals.

The Adalet Kasrı Tower was built in 1561 by the Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan for Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent as part of the palace complex. It was erected on the east bank of the Tunca River at the entrance of the Fatih Bridge, which led to a gate into the castle complex. It is the only building of the palace complex that survived the destruction of 1877.

The tower was used for judicial purposes; its name literally translates back to 'Justice Pavillion'. It is said Ottoman laws were put to paper here. In front of the tower stood 2 stones; one to proclaim new laws, the other to display heads of decapited criminals.

At present Adalet Kasrı Tower is part of the historical palace complex site. It looks like the site is being restored and being made ready for touristic purposes. Maybe the tower will be accessible when that is finished.


Gallery

 

Adalet Kasrı Tower

Adalet Kasrı Tower

Adalet Kasrı Tower, locally simply known as Adalet Kasrı, stands north of the city of Edirne, in the province of Edirne in Turkey.

In 1450 construction of Edirne Palace was begun under the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Murad II. It was built north of the city on the west bank of the Tunca river. The palace complex was continually maintained and extended until it consisted of over 100 buildings in the 18th century. After having suffered damages from an earthquake, a fire and a Russian occupation it was finally intentionally blown up on the order of Ottoman Edirne Governor in fear of nearing Russian forces during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–78. Its remains were then used as quarry by the locals.

The Adalet Kasrı Tower was built in 1561 by the Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan for Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent as part of the palace complex. It was erected on the east bank of the Tunca River at the entrance of the Fatih Bridge, which led to a gate into the castle complex. It is the only building of the palace complex that survived the destruction of 1877.

The tower was used for judicial purposes; its name literally translates back to 'Justice Pavillion'. It is said Ottoman laws were put to paper here. In front of the tower stood 2 stones; one to proclaim new laws, the other to display heads of decapited criminals.

At present Adalet Kasrı Tower is part of the historical palace complex site. It looks like the site is being restored and being made ready for touristic purposes. Maybe the tower will be accessible when that is finished.


Gallery