Yvoire Castle, locally known as Château d'Yvoire, lies in the town of the same name, on the southern shore of Lake Geneva (Lac Léman in French), in the Haute-Savoie department in France.
Yvoire Castle was built in the early 14th century by Amadeus V, Count of Savoy. From 1306 he fortified the entire village as it was situated on a strategic location on a point between the "small lake" and the "large lake" that form Lake Geneva. For half a century, the village of Yvoire had an important military role, which earned certain freedoms for its inhabitants in 1324.
During the 16th century, from 1536 to 1591, the region was occupied by forces of the independent city of Bern, who were allies of the French and the independent city of Geneva. During this occupation the village lost its ramparts and military role. Yvoire Castle was burnt and remained roofless for 350 years.
In 1655 the castle was acquired by the d'Yvoire family. Between 1919 and 1939 they had the castle restored and gave it a new roof and 4 corner turrets.
At present Yvoire Castle is private property. It can not be visited. A nice castle on a beautiful location in a cosy medieval town.