Wijenburg Castle, locally known as Kasteel Wijenburg or Huis te Echteld, lies next to the village of Echteld, in the province of Gelderland in the Netherlands.
Wijenburg Castle was founded around 1169 as a moated tower house. During following centuries it was strengthened and around 1390 the present gate tower was built. In 1492 Otto van Wijhe, Lord of Echteld, came into conflict with the Duke of Guelders, Charles II. This caused the destruction of the castle and the filling in of the moat by the troops of the Duke.
By 1545 the castle had been rebuilt to its present layout by Jasper van Wijhe and his rich wife Walburg van Haeften. In 1751 the castle went to the Van Wassenaer family through marriage. They modernized it and roofed in its courtyard in 1771.
In 1817 it went to the Van Balverens family, again through marriage. In 1956 Wijenburg Castle was donated to the Geldersch Landschap & Kasteelen Foundation. They then restored the castle back to its 16th and 18th century appearances.
At present Wijenburg Castle is used as a locations for parties and weddings. So it can only be visited as a guest of these activities. A very nice little castle.