Wayneflete Tower, also known as the Tower of Esher or Wolsey's Tower, lies on the north west edge of the town of Esher, in the county of Surrey in England.
Wayneflete Tower was built in the 15th century by William Wayneflete. It was the former gatehouse of Esher Palace, a late medieval structure built by William on the eastern bank of the River Mole. This Esher Palace incorporated an earlier, 11th century, stone fortified manor house. In the 17th century the palatial buildings dissappeared. Only the gatehouse survived and was incorporated into a new building.
In 1730 Henry Pelham purchased the Palace of Esher. He engaged William Kent, a celebrated architect to rebuild the palace into a Classical mansion. In 1805 John Spicer, a London stockbroker, bought the estate from Pelham’s heir and had all his additions taken down, leaving the tower as a sole freestanding structure.
During the first half of the 20th century the tower fell into disrepair and became very dilapidated. In later decades it was restored to its present appearance.
At present Wayneflete is a private residence. According to its website it can only be visited during pre-arranged group visits. It can however be viewed from the public road. A very nice tower, must be a great place to live.