Waardenburg Castle, locally known as Kasteel Waardenburg, lies next to the village of Waardenburg, in the province of Gelderland in the Netherlands.
Waardenburg Castle nowadays is a remnant of a castle with a polygonal shape dating back to around 1283.
The castle was preceded by a wooden castle built in 1265. It was then known as Hiern Castle, named after the hill is was built on. This wooden castle was founded by a Rudolf Cock. His ancestors owned the castle until 1401, which was then known as Weerdenbergh Castle. This name translates as "washland hill".
During the Eighty Years War, in the 16th century, Waardenburg Castle was taken by surprise and pillaged. The castle was heavily damaged in the process; only its heavy walls and the shells of the towers survived. The castle remained a ruin until 1627 when a Johan Vijgh gained ownership and started partially rebuilding the castle. During this rebuilding the bailey and the south wing, in which the entrance gate was situated, were completely demolished.
In the following centuries the castle was successively owned by the Aylva and Van Pallandt families.
Even in 1895 the eastern wing of the castle was enlarged and fitted with a little round stair tower.
Today Waardenburg Castle lies separated from the river Waal by a dike. But in earlier centuries the river flowed by its walls. In 2011 the castle was refurbished. Waardenburg Castle is now owned by the "Friends of the Castles of Gelderland"-foundation and used as an office. It can not be visited.