San Ramón Castle
San Ramón Castle, locally known as Castillo Batería de San Ramón, lies next to the beach, east of the village of Rodalquilar in the province of Almería in Spain.
During the 18th century the southern Spanish Mediterranean coast was suffering from attacks of Berber pirates. So, in 1764, Charles III of Spain ordered the construction of nine fortifications on the coast of the Kingdom of Granada.
San Ramón Castle was built in 1765 and designed by Jose Crame. It is almost identical to the forts of San Felipe, Jesús Nazareno, Guardias Viejas, Carchuna and La Herradura. It is a rectangular artillery fort with a semicircular counterguard for coastal defense and was armed with 4 cannons. Originally entrance to the fort was over a drawbridge. It was manned by an officer, 3 corporals and 20 soldiers.
San Ramón Castle was damaged during the Peninsular War between 1807-1814. Later that century it was first used to shelter homeless people and then was transferred to the Carabineros Corps. In 1875 it was finally sold to a private person.
At present San Ramón Castle can not be visited. It is private property although the process of refurbishing seems to have stopped some time ago. A nice fort at a very nice beach. Los Alumbres Tower is nearby.