Roussy Castle

Roussy Castle, locally known as Château de Roussy, lies in the hamlet of Roussy-le-Bourg, in the Moselle department in France.

Roussy Castle, first mentioned in 1131, is actually a complex of 2 contiguous castles; Roussy-Comté and Roussy-Seigneurie. A strange juxtaposition as a result of feudal politics during the Middle Ages.

The Roussy-Seigneurie Castle, dating back to the 12th century and rebuilt in the 13th century, served as the seat of the feudal lord of the Seigniory of Roussy.

The Roussy-Comté Castle, also known as Custine Castle, was built in the course of the 13th century and served as the seat of the Count of Roussy County. It was probably rebuilt during the 14th century. It was heavily damaged during the Thirty Years' War in the first part of the 17th century. Nowadays it has more the appearrance of a residence than a of castle.

The land of Roussy, formerly a county, became a prerogative of the Ligny branch of the House of Luxembourg in 1287. It was again established as a county by Charles V, King of France, in 1367, to reward the services of the House of Luxembourg. In 1471, Roussy passed into the hands of the Lord of Rodemack.

Roussy Castle is private property and used as a farm. It can not be visited. A large and complex yet not very interesing castle site.


Gallery

Roussy Castle

Roussy Castle, locally known as Château de Roussy, lies in the hamlet of Roussy-le-Bourg, in the Moselle department in France.

Roussy Castle, first mentioned in 1131, is actually a complex of 2 contiguous castles; Roussy-Comté and Roussy-Seigneurie. A strange juxtaposition as a result of feudal politics during the Middle Ages.

The Roussy-Seigneurie Castle, dating back to the 12th century and rebuilt in the 13th century, served as the seat of the feudal lord of the Seigniory of Roussy.

The Roussy-Comté Castle, also known as Custine Castle, was built in the course of the 13th century and served as the seat of the Count of Roussy County. It was probably rebuilt during the 14th century. It was heavily damaged during the Thirty Years' War in the first part of the 17th century. Nowadays it has more the appearrance of a residence than a of castle.

The land of Roussy, formerly a county, became a prerogative of the Ligny branch of the House of Luxembourg in 1287. It was again established as a county by Charles V, King of France, in 1367, to reward the services of the House of Luxembourg. In 1471, Roussy passed into the hands of the Lord of Rodemack.

Roussy Castle is private property and used as a farm. It can not be visited. A large and complex yet not very interesing castle site.


Gallery