Rocher Castle

Rocher Castle, locally known as Château-Rocher of Château-fort de Blot-le-Rocher, lies north of the hamlet of Saint-Rémy-de-Blot, in the Puy-de-Dôme department in France.

The first construction on this site was a motte built during the 9th century. Building of the castle started in the 11th century on the order of Archambaud IV the Strong, Lord of Bourbon. Archambaud ceded it to his son Pierre. Situated on a 150 meter high spur its main objective was to monitor the Sioule valley and the Menat bridge, which were a crossing point between the historical regions of Bourbonnais and the Auvergne.

After the region was taken from Guy II of Auvergne by Philip II of France in 1213, the castle was rebuilt and enlarged. Construction work on the castle carried on until the 15th century. The castle stayed in the hands of Archambaud's descendants, who started to call themselves of Blot after the seigneury to which the castle belonged, until the first half of the 14th century. Then it went to the House of Chauvigny through marriage.

In 1365 the castle was taken by Bertucat d'Albert, a mercenary of Edward III of England, after which it was ransacked. It was taken back by the widow of Jean de Chauvigny de Blot, Marguerite de Saligny, with the help of the Duke of Berry.

The family of Chauvigny de Blot then held the castle until the end of the 18th century when it was sold to a relative. By then the castle, which had lost its military purpose in the 16th century, was already abandoned.

Since 1964 the castle is being consolidated by an association.

At present Rocher Castle can freely be visited. A beautiful ruin in green surroundings.


Gallery

Rocher Castle

Rocher Castle, locally known as Château-Rocher of Château-fort de Blot-le-Rocher, lies north of the hamlet of Saint-Rémy-de-Blot, in the Puy-de-Dôme department in France.

The first construction on this site was a motte built during the 9th century. Building of the castle started in the 11th century on the order of Archambaud IV the Strong, Lord of Bourbon. Archambaud ceded it to his son Pierre. Situated on a 150 meter high spur its main objective was to monitor the Sioule valley and the Menat bridge, which were a crossing point between the historical regions of Bourbonnais and the Auvergne.

After the region was taken from Guy II of Auvergne by Philip II of France in 1213, the castle was rebuilt and enlarged. Construction work on the castle carried on until the 15th century. The castle stayed in the hands of Archambaud's descendants, who started to call themselves of Blot after the seigneury to which the castle belonged, until the first half of the 14th century. Then it went to the House of Chauvigny through marriage.

In 1365 the castle was taken by Bertucat d'Albert, a mercenary of Edward III of England, after which it was ransacked. It was taken back by the widow of Jean de Chauvigny de Blot, Marguerite de Saligny, with the help of the Duke of Berry.

The family of Chauvigny de Blot then held the castle until the end of the 18th century when it was sold to a relative. By then the castle, which had lost its military purpose in the 16th century, was already abandoned.

Since 1964 the castle is being consolidated by an association.

At present Rocher Castle can freely be visited. A beautiful ruin in green surroundings.


Gallery