Ringrone Castle lies in a field on a hill, overlooking the river Bandon, south of the town of Kinsale, in County Cork in Ireland.
The territory was a portion of the lands granted to Milo de Cogan by Henry II. It was inherited by his son Richard, whose only daughter married Milo de Courcy. Her dowry consisted of Ringrone Castle, along with Old Head Castle. Milo de Courcy built new castles at both locations in about 1223. Milo was the grandson of the famous Norman knight Sir John de Courcy. Old Head Castle was their baronial residence and Ringrone was occupied by a formidable garrison for the protection of the port of Kinsale and the ferry leading to it.
In the autumn of 1600, Ringrone Castle was held by Spanish forces. The castle was taken by the English during the Battle of Kinsale, after a severe attack with the use of cannons.
At present all that remains of Ringrone Castle is a single wall fragment of a tower, four storeys high, with evidence of vaults over the first and third levels and a doorway at the end of the north wall. A nice ruin but not very spectacular. It is freely accessible. James Fort is nearby.