Ringaskiddy Martello Tower
Ringaskiddy Martello Tower lies in a field on the Ringaskiddy peninsula, east of the village of the same name, in County Cork in Ireland.
Martello towers are small defensive forts that were built across the British Empire during the 19th century, from the time of the French Revolutionary Wars onwards. They stand up to 12 meters high (with 2 floors) and typically had a garrison of one officer and 15 to 25 men. Their round structure and thick walls of solid masonry made them resistant to cannon fire, while their height made them an ideal platform for a single heavy artillery piece, mounted on the flat roof. They were used during the first half of the 19th century, but became obsolete with the introduction of powerful rifled artillery.
Ringaskiddy Martello Tower is one of 5 Martello towers built in Cork Harbour. They were the last to be built in Ireland, around 1813-1815, to protect against a possible French invading fleet. Their design is different than the majority of other towers built in Ireland. The Rossleague and Haulbowline towers were oval shaped and the remainder, amongst which the Ringaskiddy and Belvelly towers, had vertical walls. The Ringaskiddy tower is the most southern one. It never saw action.
At present is closed off but you can walk around it.