Regnéville Castle, locally known as Château de Regnéville, lies near the shore in the village of Regnéville-sur-Mer, south west of the town of Coutances in the Manche department in the Normandy region in France.
Regnéville Castle dates back to the 10th century.
Before the beginning ot the 14th century the castle, amongst a lot of other possessions in Normandy, was inherited by Charles 'Le Mauvais' (which translates to 'The Bad") King of Navarre. After the beginning of the Hundred Years' War and the invasion of the Cotentin peninsula in 1346 by the King of England, Charles sided with the English.
But when the English retreated he had to face Charles V, King of France. A civil war engaged between the two camps. Charles the Bad resisted so well while being pressed on his Norman castles that a peace was finally negotiated. After this the castle was reinforced by captain Gomès Laurens, a Spanish Navarrese.
In 1378, the King of France decided to drive out Charles the Bad. He succeeded and decided to destroy 16 castles on the Cotentin peninsula. Regnéville Castle was preserved, amongst 5 others, because the King wanted to keep these strategic places armed, located at the "borders" with England.
In 1418 the English returned and Regnéville Castle was taken by the Duke of Gloucester. In 1420 the English garrison at Regnéville Castle consisted of around 50 men; amongst which were 6 knights and 14 archers. An important force in those times.
In 1449 the Cotentin peninsula was reconquered by the Duke of Brittany and during a siege Regnéville Castle was severely damaged.
The final blow to Regnéville Castle came in the 17th century. For in 1626 Richelieu decided to dismantle the castle as it had no more function for the Kingdom. In 1642 the keep was filled with gunpowder and set to explode. The castle remained a ruin ever since.
The castle can be visited during summertime. Too bad I was there in the wrong season but still a nice castle ruin near a beautiful sea front.