Rafenstein Castle, locally known as Castel or Burg Rafenstein, lies north west of the city of Bolzano (Bozen in German) in the South-Tyrol province in Italy.
Rafenstein Castle was built in the beginning of the 13th century by the Prince-Bishop of Trento; Friedrich von Wangen. Around 1270 it was destroyed by Meinhard II, Count of Tyrol.
Later the castle's remains were rebuilt, enlarged and heightened. In the 16th century the castle was again rebuilt by the noble families of Gerstl and the Von Spaur's. It are mainly the ruins of that castle that can be seen at present.
In 1599 Rafenstein Castle was bought by Baron Marx Sittich von Wolkenstein who renovated the castle. In 1620 the castle was abandoned. After that the castle had several owners until if finally fell to ruin in the 19th century. In 1893 it was donated to the city of Bolzano.
A nice castle ruin which is, sadly enough, closed to the public. However the steep drive uphill to the castle is worth the visit alone.