Passy-lès-Tours Castle

Passy-lès-Tours Castle, locally known as Château de Passy-lès-Tours or the Tours de Passy, lies next to the village of the same name, in the Nièvre department in France.

Passy-lès-Tours Castle was built on the site of an earlier fortified structure at the end of the 14th century by Jean de Chevenon, then counsellor to King Charles VI of France. 

During the Hundred Years' War, from 1422 on, the castle was occupied by Captain Perrinet Gressard, a mercenary for the English and Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. In 1429 he stood up against Joan of Arc during her siege of La Charité-sur-Loire and in 1434 he took the castle at Saint-Vérain.

In the 16th century, during the French Wars of Religion, the castle was badly damaged, probably by a fire, after which the main building and the surrounding walls were demolished. It remained a ruin ever since and became a quarry for cheap building materials. In 1782 it was acquired by the Marquis de Vergennes, a politician and diplomat, who also did not restore it.

Originally it had an oblong plan with round towers at its corners, of which only one remains today. The 25-meter high keep, with its 2 turrets on a buttress, also served as the gate building. Its design was inspired by Vincennes Castle, where the brother of Jean de Chevenon was captain. 

At present Passy-lès-Tours Castle is private property and can be not be visited due the danger of falling masonry. Every year a medieval festival is held on the field in front of the castle. A beautiful castle ruin.


Gallery

Passy-lès-Tours Castle

Passy-lès-Tours Castle, locally known as Château de Passy-lès-Tours or the Tours de Passy, lies next to the village of the same name, in the Nièvre department in France.

Passy-lès-Tours Castle was built on the site of an earlier fortified structure at the end of the 14th century by Jean de Chevenon, then counsellor to King Charles VI of France. 

During the Hundred Years' War, from 1422 on, the castle was occupied by Captain Perrinet Gressard, a mercenary for the English and Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. In 1429 he stood up against Joan of Arc during her siege of La Charité-sur-Loire and in 1434 he took the castle at Saint-Vérain.

In the 16th century, during the French Wars of Religion, the castle was badly damaged, probably by a fire, after which the main building and the surrounding walls were demolished. It remained a ruin ever since and became a quarry for cheap building materials. In 1782 it was acquired by the Marquis de Vergennes, a politician and diplomat, who also did not restore it.

Originally it had an oblong plan with round towers at its corners, of which only one remains today. The 25-meter high keep, with its 2 turrets on a buttress, also served as the gate building. Its design was inspired by Vincennes Castle, where the brother of Jean de Chevenon was captain. 

At present Passy-lès-Tours Castle is private property and can be not be visited due the danger of falling masonry. Every year a medieval festival is held on the field in front of the castle. A beautiful castle ruin.


Gallery