Neaufles Tower, locally known as Tour de Neaufles St. Martin or Tour de la Reine Blanche, lies next to the village of Neaufles St. Martin, in the Eure department in the Upper Normandy region in France.
Neaufles Tower is actually the remaining keep of the former Neaufles Castle.
The first castle at this was mentioned in 856. Most probably this was a wooden fortification built to protect the villagers against Viking raids.
Probably around 911 the first stone castle at this site was built. Because then the river Epte became the border between France and Normandy. This stone castle near the Lévrière river (a tributary of the Epte) was built by the Normans.
The castle of which Neaufles Tower is the last remnant, was rebuilt out of limestone and flint, in 1097 by Robert of Bellême, 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury, for King William II of England. In 1196, by the Treaty of Gaillon, the historical county of Norman Vexin, in which Neaufles Castle was situated, went to the French.
In 1359, Blanche of Navarre, Queen of France, retired in Neaufles Castle after the death of her husband; King Philip VI of France. She stayed here until her death in 1398. Her stay gave the tower its alternate name 'Tour de la Reine Blanche' or Tower of the White Queen.
During the reign of King Henry IV of France, at the end of the 16th century, Neaufles Castle was dismantled with exception of the keep. The remains of the castle were further degraded in 1647 by Cardinal Jules Mazarin, who organized a large scale dismantling operation of all the fortresses that could harm the royal sovereignty.
The remaining Neaufles Tower is 22 meters high, with a diameter of almost 14 meters and nearly 3 meter thick walls. It is surrounded by earthworks, which probably mark the outline of the castle and its outer bailey.
Legend has it that Neaufles Tower is connected to Gisors Castle, some 4 kilometers away, by a underground tunnel.
At present Neaufles Tower is situated on private farmland and can not be visited. A great tower ruin on a peaceful location.