Moyry Castle lies in the countryside south west of the village of Jonesborough, in County Armagh, in Northern Ireland.
Moyry Castle was built in 1601 by Lord Mountjoy during his northern campaign on a natural rocky hillock to secure the ancient natural route into Ulster through the strategic Moyry Pass (also known as Gap of the North).
Moyry Castle consists of a a small rectangular keep 3 storeys high. It has rounded corners and the walls are about 1.2 meters thick. The entrance in the north east side is protected by a machicolation. The keep is set in the corner of a small bawn, parts of which still stand up to 2.75 meters high. The bawn was probably entered at the north east and formed a defensive courtyard.
This is a nice little castle in a very nice landscape, even in the rain.
The site of Moyry Castle is freely accessible. It can also easily be seen from the Belfast/Dublin railway which is close by.