Montfoort Castle, locally known as Kasteel Montfoort, lies in the center of the town with the same name, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands.
Alas, Montfoort Castle doesn't look like the drawing above, made by R. Roghman around 1647, anymore. Of the castle itself only a very small remnant remains and of the bailey only the entrance gate and part of the curtain wall with a tower. The castle remnant is situated at the south side of the bailey, on the other side of the road.
Montfoort Castle was founded in the 12th century by the bishop of Utrecht; Godfried van Rhenen, to protect his bishopric against the County of Holland. Looking at 16th and 17th century drawings we see that the castle had an irregular oval shape. The name of the town in the 12th century was Mons Fortis which meant Strong Mountain. This probably refers to the artificial hill on which the castle was built.
In 1672, however, the castle was completely destroyed by the French invading army. The present remains of the bailey don't date further back than the 15th century.
The buildings on the bailey were, in the early part of the 20th century, used as a girl reform school. There's now a nice restaurant. Its exterior is freely accessible.