Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Place du Château, Luttange, France.

Website

Les Amis du Château

Luttange Castle

Luttange Castle, locally known as Château de Luttange, lies in the center of the village of the same name in the Moselle department in France.

Luttange Castle was probably built in the 13th century. Originally the castle would have consisted of a central keep with two residential wings. The ruined round tower also dates back to the 13th century. The square tower dates back to the 14th century. In the 15th century an oval gate building was built in front and against it, a construction which is unique in the Lorraine region. At present the castle consists of a rectangular enclosure with corner towers, around an inner courtyard. Originally it would also have been defended by a wide moat.

Luttange was originally a stronghold belonging to the Counts of Luxembourg. In 1366 its lord; Geoffroy de Luttange was arrested in his castle by the people of Metz and decapitated in front of the Metz Cathedral because he had been robbing travelers.

In the 15th century the lordship of Luttange becomes property of the Perpignant family. In the 16th century Lutttange Castle was acquired by the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V, who gave it to his servant and court painter, Jean Mone.

During the 17th century the property of Luttange became divided over several families. In September 1638, during the Thirty Years War, the village and castle were burned by the French garrison in Metz. This was done in retaliation of the burning of the town of Rambervillers and the slaughtering of its inhabitants by the Duke of Lorraine the month before.

In the 18th century Luttange Castle was owned by the Attel and Cabanes families. Their descendants offered the castle to the local municipality in the 19th century but the population was too poor. During the Second World War the castle finally fell to ruin. In 1966, the last private owner, a mr. Reding, donated the castle to the village under the stipulation that it should not be torn down but restored.

At present Luttange Castle is owned by the local municipality. It can not be visited, only on heritage days. Too bad! A nice castle in a sleepy village.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/luttange-castle#sigFreeIdd41bbc02bf

Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Place du Château, Luttange, France.

Website

Les Amis du Château

Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Place du Château, Luttange, France.

Website

Les Amis du Château

Luttange Castle

Luttange Castle, locally known as Château de Luttange, lies in the center of the village of the same name in the Moselle department in France.

Luttange Castle was probably built in the 13th century. Originally the castle would have consisted of a central keep with two residential wings. The ruined round tower also dates back to the 13th century. The square tower dates back to the 14th century. In the 15th century an oval gate building was built in front and against it, a construction which is unique in the Lorraine region. At present the castle consists of a rectangular enclosure with corner towers, around an inner courtyard. Originally it would also have been defended by a wide moat.

Luttange was originally a stronghold belonging to the Counts of Luxembourg. In 1366 its lord; Geoffroy de Luttange was arrested in his castle by the people of Metz and decapitated in front of the Metz Cathedral because he had been robbing travelers.

In the 15th century the lordship of Luttange becomes property of the Perpignant family. In the 16th century Lutttange Castle was acquired by the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V, who gave it to his servant and court painter, Jean Mone.

During the 17th century the property of Luttange became divided over several families. In September 1638, during the Thirty Years War, the village and castle were burned by the French garrison in Metz. This was done in retaliation of the burning of the town of Rambervillers and the slaughtering of its inhabitants by the Duke of Lorraine the month before.

In the 18th century Luttange Castle was owned by the Attel and Cabanes families. Their descendants offered the castle to the local municipality in the 19th century but the population was too poor. During the Second World War the castle finally fell to ruin. In 1966, the last private owner, a mr. Reding, donated the castle to the village under the stipulation that it should not be torn down but restored.

At present Luttange Castle is owned by the local municipality. It can not be visited, only on heritage days. Too bad! A nice castle in a sleepy village.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/luttange-castle#sigFreeIdd41bbc02bf

Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Place du Château, Luttange, France.

Website

Les Amis du Château