Lombard's Castle, lies in the center of the town of Buttevant, in County Cork in Ireland.
Lombard's Castle was built in the 15th-16th century by the Lombard family, originating from the Donatti family who followed the Normans into Ireland, as wool merchant adventurers. This tower house or fortified town house was very likely predated by another structure at this site. It was built adjacent to the Market House, situated at the corner of the old medieval town.
In 1690, Lombard's Castle was granted to Col. John Gifford, as a result of the Williamite War. In 1750 the castle was used as a free Protestant School. It was used as a school until at least 1837. Later that century it belonged to the Buckley family, who willed it to the church. In 1867 the church reduced and restored it.
At present Lombard's Castle seemed not to be used. It could not be visited. This castle has a rather dull appearance. But if you are here be sure to take a look at Buttevant Castle.