Year of visit
  • 2013

Location

Adress: Lichtenbergweg 2, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

Website

Lichtenberg Castle

Lichtenberg Castle, locally known as Kasteel Lichtenberg, lies on a mountain south of the city of Maastricht, in the province of Limburg in the Netherlands.

Lichtenberg Castle is situated on a mountain with the Latin name 'Mons Lucis' which has given rise to speculation that perhaps the site was already used by the Romans for signaling, though no Roman guard tower remains have been found.

Around 1212 a castle was built on this site by Hugo de Pierrepont, the bishop of Luik. The lower part of the keep, consisting of flint and millstone-grit, could be a remnant of this castle. In 1439 the castle came into the possession of the Van Eijnatten family. During their ownership, which lasted until 1659, the castle was partly or completely rebuild and extended. The upper part of the keep, consisting of marl, dates back to that period; the 15th or 16th century. It can't be ruled out that during that rebuilding the keep was also completely rebuild using old building materials. Also a main- and south wing were erected around a courtyard. The function of the keep was mainly a defensive one. In 1568 the castle was used as headquarters by the Spanish Duke of Alva.

After 1640 the castle lost its military function and was rebuild as a fortified residence and used as a farm.

The square ruined keep we see today is the only remnant of the medieval Lichtenberg Castle. It's now incorporated in a farmstead which was built, probably on the foundations of the medieval castle, in the 18th and 19th century. In 1904 the keep was fitted with iron stairs and a wooden platform to be used as a belvedere.

Lichtenberg Castle was situated on a natural sloping mountain of limestone until 1922 when the mountain was bought by ENCI; a company who would quarry the limestone for cement production. Due to the open quarrying all around the castle it is now situated next to a high, vertical, bare limestone cliff. In 1985 the entire complex was restored. It is now owned by an environmental organization; Natuurmonumenten. It can be visited. Part of the bailey can be rented as a holiday home.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/lichtenberg-castle#sigFreeIdfc1e41f198

Year of visit
  • 2013

Location

Adress: Lichtenbergweg 2, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

Website

Year of visit
  • 2013

Location

Adress: Lichtenbergweg 2, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

Website

Lichtenberg Castle

Lichtenberg Castle, locally known as Kasteel Lichtenberg, lies on a mountain south of the city of Maastricht, in the province of Limburg in the Netherlands.

Lichtenberg Castle is situated on a mountain with the Latin name 'Mons Lucis' which has given rise to speculation that perhaps the site was already used by the Romans for signaling, though no Roman guard tower remains have been found.

Around 1212 a castle was built on this site by Hugo de Pierrepont, the bishop of Luik. The lower part of the keep, consisting of flint and millstone-grit, could be a remnant of this castle. In 1439 the castle came into the possession of the Van Eijnatten family. During their ownership, which lasted until 1659, the castle was partly or completely rebuild and extended. The upper part of the keep, consisting of marl, dates back to that period; the 15th or 16th century. It can't be ruled out that during that rebuilding the keep was also completely rebuild using old building materials. Also a main- and south wing were erected around a courtyard. The function of the keep was mainly a defensive one. In 1568 the castle was used as headquarters by the Spanish Duke of Alva.

After 1640 the castle lost its military function and was rebuild as a fortified residence and used as a farm.

The square ruined keep we see today is the only remnant of the medieval Lichtenberg Castle. It's now incorporated in a farmstead which was built, probably on the foundations of the medieval castle, in the 18th and 19th century. In 1904 the keep was fitted with iron stairs and a wooden platform to be used as a belvedere.

Lichtenberg Castle was situated on a natural sloping mountain of limestone until 1922 when the mountain was bought by ENCI; a company who would quarry the limestone for cement production. Due to the open quarrying all around the castle it is now situated next to a high, vertical, bare limestone cliff. In 1985 the entire complex was restored. It is now owned by an environmental organization; Natuurmonumenten. It can be visited. Part of the bailey can be rented as a holiday home.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://castles.nl/lichtenberg-castle#sigFreeIdfc1e41f198

Year of visit
  • 2013

Location

Adress: Lichtenbergweg 2, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

Website