Leerdam Castle, locally known as Kasteel van Leerdam, lies in the town of the same name, in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands.
Leerdam Castle was built on the confluence of two small rivers; the Linge and the Leede, probably somewhere in the 11th or 12th century. It was a real town castle and formed the south western corner of the town defences although it was separated from the town by a small moat.
In those early times the town and the castle were owned by the Lords of Arkel.
In 1557 William of Orange inherited the County of Leerdam together with the castle. Since then there has remained a special bond between the Dutch Royal family; the Oranges, and the town of Leerdam.
The 80-Years War meant the end for Leerdam Castle; for in 1574 the town and castle were besieged by Spanish troops under commander Vitelli. The town walls and the castle were destroyed. Parts of the outer castle walls were rebuilt to form new city walls but the castle itself was never rebuilt and its remains fell to ruin.
In the beginning of the 18th century the last ruins of the castle dissappeared when a garden was built on the former castle terrain. In 1770 a residence for widows and young women, called the 'Hofje van Aerden' was built on top of the castle foundations.
In the 1970's this 'Hofje' was restored which led to the rediscovery of some wall fragments of Leerdam Castle; three parts of walls, one with the beginning of a spiral staircase. These wall fragments date back to around 1300.