Kronenburg Castle, locally known as the Kronenburg, lies on a rock in the center of the village of the same name, in the North Rhine-Westphalia region in Germany.
Although Kronenburg Castle was first mentioned in 1277, the castle is most likely older. The Lords of Kronenburg were elevated to nobility around 1300, although at that time they were of meager means. To survive the last Knight of Kronenburg; Peter, had become a vassal of the Counts of Luxembourg at the end of the 14th century.
The Counts of Luxembourg kept ruling Kronenburg Castle until 1795, when the region was annexed by the French Republic. In 1809 the castle, which had been confiscated by the French State, was sold at an auction to a former bailiff of the Counts of Manderscheid-Blankenheim. By then the castle was already a ruin. After that the ruin was used as a quarry by the locals for decades.
During WW II the village and the outer bailey, situated below and around the rocky spur of the main castle, suffered war damage.
At present the ruins of Kronenburg Castle are freely accessible. The ruin itself isn't very spectacular, but together with the village in the outer courtyard is makes for an interesting ensemble.