Kollenburg Castle

Kollenburg Castle, locally known as Ruine Kollenburg (or Collenburg), lies on a hill on the right bank of the Main River, east of the village of the same name, in the Bavaria region in Germany.

Although Kollenburg Castle was first mentioned in 1214, it was probably built around 1150 by Conradus Colbo Schenk von Schüpf. His descendants owned the castle until 1268, when they died out.

It was then donated to the Teutonic Order who gave it as a fief to the Knights of Rüdt. That family then started to call themselves the Rüdt of Collenberg. The castle stayed in their possession until 1635 when the last male heir died. In the meantime the possession of the fief had transferred from the Teutonic Order to the Electorate of Mainz. So the Electorate then gave the fief to its chancellor; Nikolaus Georg von Reigersberg.

By 1750 Kollenburg Castle didn't fit the standards of Von Reigersberg's descendants anymore and they moved to their newly built Schloss Fechenbach. For a few more decades the castle was used as a forester's residence and then fell into dilapidation. Around 1840 it was finally abandoned and fell to ruin. The ruin was then used as a stone quarry.

At present Kollenburg Castle can freely be visited. A very nice castle ruin.


Gallery

Kollenburg Castle

Kollenburg Castle, locally known as Ruine Kollenburg (or Collenburg), lies on a hill on the right bank of the Main River, east of the village of the same name, in the Bavaria region in Germany.

Although Kollenburg Castle was first mentioned in 1214, it was probably built around 1150 by Conradus Colbo Schenk von Schüpf. His descendants owned the castle until 1268, when they died out.

It was then donated to the Teutonic Order who gave it as a fief to the Knights of Rüdt. That family then started to call themselves the Rüdt of Collenberg. The castle stayed in their possession until 1635 when the last male heir died. In the meantime the possession of the fief had transferred from the Teutonic Order to the Electorate of Mainz. So the Electorate then gave the fief to its chancellor; Nikolaus Georg von Reigersberg.

By 1750 Kollenburg Castle didn't fit the standards of Von Reigersberg's descendants anymore and they moved to their newly built Schloss Fechenbach. For a few more decades the castle was used as a forester's residence and then fell into dilapidation. Around 1840 it was finally abandoned and fell to ruin. The ruin was then used as a stone quarry.

At present Kollenburg Castle can freely be visited. A very nice castle ruin.


Gallery