Jorel Battery, locally known as Batería del Jorel, lies on the ridge of a cape above the sea, west of the city of Cartagena in the province of Murcia in Spain.
WW I had resulted in huge technological advances, which rendered the defenses of Cartagena obsolete. Cartagena then already was the headquarters and main military port of the Spanish Navy. So in 1926 a Defense Plan called for the construction of a new defense system, compromising the building of tens of new fortifications around Cartagena, giving it full protection against attacks from sea and air.
Cabo Tiñoso, a cape some 25 kilometers from Cartagena, was amongst the sites chosen to be used. On the ridge of this cape were built 3 batteries; Atalayón, Castillitos and Jorel. Jorel Battery was built between 1929 and 1933, at the end of the ridge east of Castillitos, some 218 meters above sea level. It was an anti shipping battery, protecting the upper two batteries, armed with four 1923 model Vickers 152.5 mm 45 caliber anti shipping guns.
The battery was deliberately built into the top of the ridge to render it invisible from the sea. For the buildings of this battery the builders used a style of eclectic modernism, a style which was popular at the time in Cartagena.
During the Spanish Civil War between 1936 and 1939 one of the Vickers guns was removed and taken to the city of Almería to protect its port. There it was in later decades dismantled and it is now exhibited in the Artillery Muesum in Cartagena.
With the passing of time the guns became outdated and they fired their last practice shots in 1992. In 1994 the battery was decommissioned, subsequently stripped and abandoned. The three Vickers guns remained. The battery then quickly fell to ruin. It is still owned by the Ministry of Defense.
At present Jorel Battery can freely be visited. From the hamlet of Campillo de Adentro you can drive, over the old very winding military road and through some great mountainous scenery, up to a small parking lot almost at the entrance of Castillitos battery. From there it is a walk down of about 10 minutes. A nice place to explore and of course offering great views.