Honingen Castle

Honingen Castle is a former castle which was situated in the Kralingen neighborhood of the city of Rotterdam, in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands.

When exactly Honingen Castle was built or by whom is unknown. The castle was first mentioned in 1318 when it was pledged to the Chapter of Brielle by Ogier van Kralingen.

In 1426 it was torn down by the town of Rotterdam to prevent troops from the Hook league using it, during the Hook and Cod Wars. The castle was completely rebuilt in 1462 by the Lord of Kralingen, with a moat that was connected to the river Meuse through a sluice. A forest surrounded it.

In 1573, the Sea Beggar William II de la Marck, Lord of Lumey, was imprisoned in the castle. A year later, in 1574, Honingen Castle was destroyed, apparently by Spanish troops. After that it remained a ruin.

The ruin and surrounding estate were bought by the council of Rotterdam in 1668, who tore down the remains in 1672. Subsequently the area was parcelled up and sold to commoners.

Depictions of the castle show it to have had a rather square ground plan with 2 octagonal, one round and one square corner towers. That square one was probably the oldest part of the castle.

During its existence Honingen Castle was situated some 2 km east from the town of Rotterdam. At present the site is a late-19th century neighborhood of the city.

Nothing remains of Honingen Castle but a pond that was part of the castle moat.


Gallery

Honingen Castle

Honingen Castle is a former castle which was situated in the Kralingen neighborhood of the city of Rotterdam, in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands.

When exactly Honingen Castle was built or by whom is unknown. The castle was first mentioned in 1318 when it was pledged to the Chapter of Brielle by Ogier van Kralingen.

In 1426 it was torn down by the town of Rotterdam to prevent troops from the Hook league using it, during the Hook and Cod Wars. The castle was completely rebuilt in 1462 by the Lord of Kralingen, with a moat that was connected to the river Meuse through a sluice. A forest surrounded it.

In 1573, the Sea Beggar William II de la Marck, Lord of Lumey, was imprisoned in the castle. A year later, in 1574, Honingen Castle was destroyed, apparently by Spanish troops. After that it remained a ruin.

The ruin and surrounding estate were bought by the council of Rotterdam in 1668, who tore down the remains in 1672. Subsequently the area was parcelled up and sold to commoners.

Depictions of the castle show it to have had a rather square ground plan with 2 octagonal, one round and one square corner towers. That square one was probably the oldest part of the castle.

During its existence Honingen Castle was situated some 2 km east from the town of Rotterdam. At present the site is a late-19th century neighborhood of the city.

Nothing remains of Honingen Castle but a pond that was part of the castle moat.


Gallery