Dos Hermanas Castle
Dos Hermanas Castle, locally known as Castillo de Dos Hermanas, lies on a hill in a field between the villages of Montemayor and Espejo in the province of Córdoba in Spain.
When Dos Hermanas Castle was built is unknown. The castle is of Moorish origin but archeological excavations have proven the existence of a Roman rural settlement at this site.
According to written sources it was taken by Ferdinand III, King of Castile, in the 13th century. He gave the castle to Fernán Núñez and later it went to the Fernández de Córdoba family.
In 1340 Dos Hermanas Castle was largely demolished by Martín Alonso de Córdoba who needed its stones as building material for his new castle in the nearby village of Montemayor.
What remains at present of Dos Hermanas Castle are parts of 2 towers, a gate and several wall fragments. These remnants show that the castle had a rectangular plan with square corner towers.
The ruins of Dos Hermanas Castle are private hunting grounds (there is an abundance of rabbits on the castle hill) and are situated in the middle of a field. Therefore the castle is not freely accessible.