Hérisson Castle

Hérisson Castle, locally known as Château d'Hérisson, lies of the village of the same name, in the Allier department in France.

The first castle at this site, a rock above a ford in the Aumance river and an intersection of old roads, dated back to the 10th century. It had a square keep and a smaller tower and it belonged to the Lords of Bourbon but fell under the suzerainty of the Counts of Champagne.

The present castle was built during the 12th century, probably by Archambaud VII de Bourbon. In 1363, during the Hundred Years' War, the castle was besieged by English troops. After that it was enlarged and strengthened at the end of the 14th century by Louis II, Duke of Bourbon. During the War of the Public Weal, in 1465, it was besieged again, this time by the troops of Louis XI of France.

In 1568 Hérisson Castle suffered an unsuccessful siege by Protestant troops. In 1650, during the Fronde of the Princes, the castle was fruitlessly besieged by partisans of Louis II de Bourbon, Prince of Condé. They returned a year later and then succeeded in taking it. Shortly afterwards it was regained by royal troops. By order of Cardinal Mazarin Hérisson Castle was then dismantled. After that it fell to ruin and became a quarry for cheap building materials for the locals until the end of the 19th century.

In the 1950's the castle belonged to the Touring Club de France, who organized archaeological excavations and restoration works. In the 1980's it was acquired by the local council.

At present Hérisson Castle can freely be visited. A beautiful castle ruin.


Gallery

Hérisson Castle

Hérisson Castle, locally known as Château d'Hérisson, lies of the village of the same name, in the Allier department in France.

The first castle at this site, a rock above a ford in the Aumance river and an intersection of old roads, dated back to the 10th century. It had a square keep and a smaller tower and it belonged to the Lords of Bourbon but fell under the suzerainty of the Counts of Champagne.

The present castle was built during the 12th century, probably by Archambaud VII de Bourbon. In 1363, during the Hundred Years' War, the castle was besieged by English troops. After that it was enlarged and strengthened at the end of the 14th century by Louis II, Duke of Bourbon. During the War of the Public Weal, in 1465, it was besieged again, this time by the troops of Louis XI of France.

In 1568 Hérisson Castle suffered an unsuccessful siege by Protestant troops. In 1650, during the Fronde of the Princes, the castle was fruitlessly besieged by partisans of Louis II de Bourbon, Prince of Condé. They returned a year later and then succeeded in taking it. Shortly afterwards it was regained by royal troops. By order of Cardinal Mazarin Hérisson Castle was then dismantled. After that it fell to ruin and became a quarry for cheap building materials for the locals until the end of the 19th century.

In the 1950's the castle belonged to the Touring Club de France, who organized archaeological excavations and restoration works. In the 1980's it was acquired by the local council.

At present Hérisson Castle can freely be visited. A beautiful castle ruin.


Gallery