Hedel Castle, locally known as Kasteel Hedel or Kasteel Heel, is situated in the center of the village with the same name, in the Gelderland province in the Netherlands.
Hedel Castle was built in the beginning of the 14th century by Willem van Cranendonck. At that time it was probably just a moated tower house. The next Lord of Hedel was Otto van der Lecke. He linked Hedel Castle, through marriage, to Bergh Castle. Thus he was able to build a curtain wall, two circular corner towers and a gate building.
The castle was strategically located on the borders of Brabant, Holland and Guelders. Because of this it was besieged several times in the 14th and 15th century.
In 1565 Count Willem IV, a brother-in-law of William of Orange, was Lord of Hedel. He built a gallery on the courtyard. In 1572 the castle was taken from him by Alva, the Spanish general. From 1578 the castle was occupied by Dutch troops, until 1589 when they were driven out by Spanish troops. A year later the castle was reconquered by Prince Maurice. In 1593 he used the castle as his headquarters, his sister; Countess Maria of Nassau, was Lady of Hedel at that time.
In 1653 Maria Elisabeth, Princess of Hohenzollern-Hechingen, expanded the castle and built a new bailey.
In 1794 the castle was sieged by French troops and was greatly damaged as a result. In 1804 the remaining ruins were torn down. The bailey was destroyed during bombings in 1945.
The foundations of the castle were excavated and consolidated in 1981. They are freely accessible.